There are many reasons you might be missing a tooth: an accident, tooth decay, gum disease, dental fracture. Whatever the reason, there are a couple of good options for tooth replacement. The choice of which solution is best should be made after consulting with your general dentist about your unique situation. Our Cleveland TN Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons can perform the procedure for surgical placement of dental implants or secured dentures.
- Less expensive than Dental Implants in the Short Term
- Best if gums and jaw or too weak or unhealthy to support a surgical implant
- These can be uncomfortable and ill-fitting
- False teeth require denture adhesive to secure in place
- They require replacement every 7 to 15 years
- Can produce clicking noises when talking or eating
- Require neighboring teeth for anchoring
Dental Implant Pros:
- Fit more securely than a Bridge or Dentures
- Allow for chewing more types of food
- Offer increased confidence when talking or eating
- Do not rely on neighboring teeth
- Preserve the jaw bone
- Can last a lifetime with proper care
Dental Implant Cons:
- More expensive than a Bridge or Denture in the Short Term (but less expensive in the long-run)
Dental Implants Improve Quality of Life
The advantages of dental implants include increased confidence and improved self-esteem. No more feeling self-conscious about missing a tooth! One simple procedure can dramatically improve our appearance and how others perceive us. When performed correctly, people have no idea they aren’t looking at a natural tooth.
Because dental implants attach to the root, an improved capacity for chewing and biting can restore meals including your favorite foods again. Dentures can slip out of place while eating or speaking, even when secured with denture adhesive.
Another advantage of dental implants over bridges or dentures is that once implanted, you never have to think about them. Just care for them the same way you do your other teeth, and they should last for decades, plus the health of surrounding teeth will improve as well. Partial dentures might promote infection and decay in other teeth if they aren’t fitted properly.
The jaw actually shrinks over time when teeth are missing, so adding implants improves the health of the jaw bone. Dental implants have been shown to reduce the risk of periodontal disease and other oral infections.
The bottom line: Dentures may be the best choice for someone whose gums and jaw are weak or unhealthy, but dental implants can offer many more benefits if the gums and jaw are healthy.
For more information about dental implants or other oral surgical procedures, call Ocoee Oral Surgery at (423) 479-8544 today.
Photo: © Anna Moskivina / 123RF Stock Photo
Blog © 2018 Ocoee Oral Surgery
Cleveland TN 37311